Coaching is one of the key approaches through which leadership within organisations can be developed. Coaching is a method of developing an individual's capabilities in order to facilitate the achievement of organisational success. This one to one focused and bespoke relationship is often perceived as the single most effective development intervention that a senior leader in the NHS can access.
- The relationship has a set duration
- It is structured with regular scheduled meetings
- Short term and focussed on specific development areas, issues, goals and work
- Your coach does not need direct experience of your role
Research shows that there are huge personal benefits to accessing coaching, particularly at times of change.
- Is a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires individuals to maximise their personal and professional potential
- Helps improve personal performance (closing the gap between potential and performance)
- Helps increase morale, motivation and enthusiasm
- Can help to reduce levels of stress
- Improves self-confidence at all levels
- Helps encourage a more proactive approach to addressing issues and making decisions
Who can access coaching?
Access as a coach to the NHS NWLA Coaching Hub requires a professional coaching qualification or equivalent experience over the past couple of years. In return the NHS NWLA will provide access to regular CPD, group supervision sessions and network learning events. Please see our Coaching Register Guidance Access document for further information.
Access as a coachee to the NHS NWLA Coaching Hub is available through a number of criteria including to members of the board/sub-board within a member organisation, senior Primary Care Network leaders, and participation in programmes such as the Aspirant Talent programme or Elizabeth Garrett Anderson programme. Additionally this can be accessed more widely through recommendation by your organisation's Coaching and Mentoring Champion; if you would like to discuss this with your organisational coaching and mentoring champion please get in touch for contact information.